Thursday, February 12, 2009

Books

Ethan has developed a fascination with books lately. His Grandma bought him a "Learning Library" for Christmas. It's a collection of board books, each on a different subject "Animals", "Things to Wear", "Around the House", etc in a box with a handle. Each page has a picture and the word that describes the picture. We read these books over and over and over (did I say Thanks Mom?). He'll bring over the whole box, usually spilling the contents, or each book at a time. He has plenty of other books but he seems to enjoy the one word per page the most. It's really helping him develop his speech, the other day we were reading "Things to Wear" and at the end I said "hat" and perfectly he repeated "hat" of course I got very excited and there was lots of clapping. Most of the time he only repeats the sounds, his favorites are "p" and "t." Oh and don't worry about my mom, she gets to read similar books, in the Spot series, every day to him and it's only annoying when he wants to read the same one over and over again.
Reading is something that I am happy to do with Ethan, I want him to love to read. I remember when we were kids, my sister and I used to walk the dog to the library, one of us would wait outside while the other got her books and then switch. I also remember having reading lists at the library and getting prizes for the different number of books you read, prizes and reading what could be better? Mike was never a reader when he was younger, I broke him out of that. Now, believe it or not, he reads for enjoyment!


0 comments: