Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Age of "Why?"

Before becoming a parent you hear about it and it really doesn't sound that bad. You think "I want my kid to ask lots of questions, and I'm going to answer them." And, truthfully, I still feel that way (most of the time).

Then you become a parent, a parent of a 3 year old and you realize sometimes the questions have no answers, sometimes the questions don't even make sense! But they still keep asking! And when you can answer, they ask why to the answer!

"Mommy, why is Bumblebee a transformer?"
"Because he was made that way"
"Why, mommy?"
"Why what Ethan?"
"Why was he made a transformer?"
"Um, so he could be fun for you to play with"
"Why?" And on and on.
Some of our most recent inquiries are:

"Let's go play outside Mommy."
"OK Ethan that sounds good."
"Why"
"Why what?"
"Why are we going to play outside?"
"Because you asked if we could and I said yes."
"Why?"
"Why did you ask or why did I say yes?"
"Why did I ask to go outside?"
"I have no idea Ethan."

"Why do we have friends?"

"Why do we go to Grandma's?"

I try to answer his questions as honestly as possible, and I try not to discourage him from asking. Some of the techniques we have learned is 1. Make sure he knows what he's asking why about and 2. (This one's from Michael) give him a detailed enough answer that he either is focused on trying to figure out the answer so he forgets to ask why, or he doesn't follow and changes the subject.
The Age of Why, may be mentally exhausting (especially if you're pregnant) but it is amazing to watch what he retains and how he puts the concepts together.

0 comments: